Thursday, June 11, 2009

Five Faves Friday!

Sooo I am jumping AHEAD of the game here if you can actually believe it.

We have a full day of fun scheduled tomorrow. Going to Wildlife Safari with my gal pals from high-school Bree, Jamie and Jen. Then we are headed out for a girls night out and having some good food, good wine and good gossip!

Here are some great things that I hope you will love as much as I do:
#1. This recipe for Mexican Shredded Beef: You would NOT believe the smell in my house right now, it is insane.

Mexican Shredded Beef:
1 boneless beef chuck shoulder roast (about 3 lbs)
1 Tbs ground cumin
1 Tbs ground coriander
1 Tbs chili powder
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
1 cup salsa or picante sauce
1 Tbs cornstarch
2 Tbs water
taco shells, corn or flour tortillas

Slow Cooker Directions:

Combine cumin, coriander, chili powder, salt and cayenne pepper in bowl. Mix and rub over roast.
Place 1/4 cup of salsa in bottom of crock pot. Put roast in. Layer remaining salsa on top.
Cover and cook on LOW for 8-10 hours. (I never cook this long though, I have a super hot and fast crockpot. So know your crock pot cooking habits!)

Remove roast from cooking liquid; cool slightly. Trim and discard any excess fat from meat. Shred meat with 2 forks.
Let cooking liquid stand 5 minutes so fat can rise to surface. Skim fat off. Blend cornstarch and water until smooth. Whisk liquid into crock pot. Cook uncovered, 15 minutes on HIGH until thickened. Return shredded beef into crock pot. Cover and cook additional 15 minutes. Adjust any seasonings to taste. Serve in taco shells or tortillas.

May be refrigerated for up to 3 days or FREEZE up to 3 months.

#2. Anthropologie bib necklaces: I had an email from Anthropologie today in the ol inbox and they had these DIVINE necklaces in them.
Here are a few of my favorites (I think they would go well with the dresses from shopruche.com, don't ya think)




#3. When Fried Eggs Fly- John recorded this show on the Documentary Channel. Here is a quick synopsis from the website so you can get an idea of what it is cause I can't do it justice: Visionary teacher Bruce Mack makes a commitment to get 162 eight-year-olds in a New York City public school to compose, perform and record original music with their parents. The topic is pressing: saving the environment. Serious rehearsals. No cutting corners. And it has to have a great beat. A film for both kids and adults. When Fried Eggs Fly shows how to beat the odds and get a song made.

It was amazing to see how this one music teacher made a tangible difference. A touch it, see it, feel it, hear it, difference. He somehow managed to bring not only 162 kids but their teachers and parents together to create music. It was incredible and inspiring and made me want to go start some kind of damn revolution in our school. Go check out the trailer at the When Fried Eggs Fly website.

#4. Jeff Buckley "Grace Around the World"-I heart Jeff Buckley. If you haven't listened to him, or have and thought "Lord, I hate this" please oh please give this man another chance. I have one of his songs on my playlist, go listen LOL. This is a DVD of unseen live performances and it is beautiful and haunting at the same time. From Grace to Hallelujah to my favorite Lover, You Should Have Come Over...



Read these lyrics and tell me if the man wasn't a genius.

Lover, You Should've Come Over
Looking out the door I see the rain fall upon the funeral mourners
Parading in a wake of sad relations as their shoes fill up with water
And maybe I'm too young to keep good love from going wrong

But tonight you're on my mind so you never know
When I'm broken down and hungry for your love with no way to feed it

Where are you tonight, child you know how much I need it
Too young to hold on and too old to just break free and run

Sometimes a man gets carried away, when he feels like he should be having his fun
And much too blind to see the damage he's done
Sometimes a man must awake to find that really, he has no-one

So i'll wait for you... and i'll burn
Will I ever see your sweet return
Oh will I ever learn

Oh lover, you should've come over
'Cause it's not too late

Lonely is the room, the bed is made, the open window lets the rain in
Burning in the corner is the only one who dreams he had you with him
My body turns and yearns for a sleep that will never come
It's never over, my kingdom for a kiss upon her shoulder
It's never over, all my riches for her smiles when I slept so soft against her
It's never over, all my blood for the sweetness of her laughter
It's never over, she's the tear that hangs inside my soul forever
Well maybe i'm just too young
To keep good love from going wrong
Oh... lover, you should've come over '
Cause it's not too late
Well I feel too young to hold on
And I'm much too old to break free and run
Too deaf, dumb, and blind to see the damage i've done

Sweet lover, you should've come over
Oh, love well i'm waiting for you
Lover, you should've come over'
Cause it's not too late

Got goosebumps yet?
and
#5. My Scrappy Fave of the week comes via my friend Pam and in the form of Basic Grey June Bug....Ohh stop my beating heart!!!!







and thus ends my longest post EVER! Lordy, I am long-winded tonight LOL

Have a great weekend.

5 comments:

pink4u said...

Dena ...those are great faves...
I will have to try your recipe...I make the same thing all the time in my crock pot.

Very, very cute necklaces...and very cute with the dress you picked last week!!!

I am super behind this week with faves...remodeling.. week #6 here and I am just worn out from dust and guys in my house. It looks like we have about 2 weeks left!! Yay!!! Enjoy your fun day tomorrow with the girlies!!!

Take care, Joanie :)

Kirsty said...

Oh man...Junebug!!!! ***droool**
Loove the necklaces the flowery one is definitely my pick!

My hubby adores Jeff Buckley...I should have a listen!

deb famularo said...

Hey Miss Dena,
Haven't been by in awhile, so thought I'd say hello and come admire your work here! XOXO

Kaytee said...

I will definitely have to check out Jeff Buckley! I love those lyrics!!

domestic goddess said...

loving your five favs, i must get back on board with these!!
hugs xx